Students - Apply
Before you begin
- Do you understand the purpose of a HOST visit? If you are not sure, please see HOST’s home page and student page.
- Do you know what a HOST visit will be like? If you are not sure, please see the student page.
- Are you aged 18+ and registered as an international student at an institution in the UK? (Sorry, but we cannot accept applications from people under 18, nor from international students not yet in the UK, nor from people whose courses in the UK will last less than 3 months.)
Registering with HOST
- If this is your first application, you will be asked to register with HOST. We will send you a password so that you can access the application procedure.
- We need some personal details from you, so that we can contact you, and find the right host for you. Please answer all the questions.
- In the section asking for ‘more information’, please tell us in about 100 words anything which will help us to find the best invitation for you.
- You will be able to edit your HOST registration profile at any time. Please let us know if any details change.
- Please keep your password safe as you will need it every time you visit your profile or the application procedure.
Applying for a HOST visit
Jarway and Kwailin with their hosts' pet dog
Before you begin
- Do you know how much you will have to pay for your application and who you need to pay it to? If you are not sure, check here. (If your university is not listed at all, you will have to pay the full application fee to HOST UK.)
- Do you want to visit a host alone, or with an international student friend? If you want to go with a friend, you must BOTH complete separate applications. And you must give your friend’s name in the ‘friend’ section.
- Do you want to visit with your husband/wife and children? These family members can be included if they are living in the UK while you are studying here. (Sorry, but we cannot include any other relatives, nor family members who are visiting you here.)
- Have you decided how much time and money you can spend on your travel? You can choose to have your visit near your place of study (this means up to an hour by public transport). If you have not chosen that option, we will find an invitation in a location you can reach within the maximum travel budget you give us.
- Have you decided when you will be available for your visit? We need you to give us a choice of at least three dates, and we ask you to keep these dates free or tell us immediately if there are any changes to your availability.
After submitting your application, it will be authorised by your institution. We will then send it to one of HOST’s regional organisers (RO). The RO lives in the region you will be visiting and knows the hosts there personally. ROs are volunteers who work in their free time. Your RO will contact you, and then look for the best invitation for you. You can find a map of the regions (counties) in the UK here.
IMPORTANT: Please check your email AND your Spam/Junk folder frequently for messages. Sadly, important messages from ROs to students are sometimes missed because they are treated as Spam.
NOTE: By entering your details into the HOST application form, you confirm that you give HOST permission to collect, process and disseminate this information in order to facilitate your visit.